Monday, November 20, 2006

Camping...Kathryn Style



Friday night we went camping.

I loaded up our sleeping bags, clothes, lots of food and my kids and we drove ALL the way to Greens Prairie Road to camp at the Freemans.

It was a Thanksgiving camping trip.

We had the works...turkey, stuffing, everything else you eat and pie.

After dinner we got down to some serious camping. We lit the fire pit and a mess load of kids started roasting marshmallows.

It was great.

There is nothing like the smell of fire on a cold night. S'mores are the best. I personally like to set my marshmallow on fire, blow it out and then eat it while it is still hot...what a rush!!!

It started getting late, so quite a few people left. It was just the die hard campers left. The Freemans, Carpios, me and the boys, Kevin, Whitney Nellie and Pat.

We watched Cars and played ball.

We learned to juggle with muffins...don't try this at home, it only lasts for a few minutes and then it gets really messy.

One by one the kids started to fall asleep...Sydni first...Easton and Michael...Alex was a trooper. He was literally banging on things to stay awake. I should mention that at this point it is two o'clock in the morning.

I have not stayed up this late on purpose in a very long time. Around three o'clock in the morning I think we were filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in tongues, because things that are not normally funny became hysterical.

We found out things about each other that we did not know. I had no idea Kevin had such a phobia to lotion or that Nellie could make a pig noise that sounded so real.

I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life or ate so much food at one time.

Around four o'clock in the morning we unanimously called it quits...we could literally stay awake no longer.

So the guys secured their sleeping bags in the living room floor and as Nellie and I got in the bed, we both agreed that this was the best camping trip...ever!!!

Yes...camping Kathryn style...marshmallows, food, friends...all in a climate-controlled bug free atmosphere.

It doesn't get any better than that!!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hendrick Family said...

Lotion is scary? Poor Kevin. He could never have a little brown baby. They require lots of lotion!! Tubs and tubs of lotion!!

I'm so glad you guys got to go camping together. What a BEAUTIFUL community God has given you.

And those Freemans...aren't they just the best?

November 20, 2006 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Lisa Smith said...

That's my kind of camping! I hear Sydni had quite a time too...what a wonderful Hope Group you have.

November 20, 2006 at 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what to say. That "camping trip" was one of those nights I will remember for the rest of my life. I almost felt guilty that we were blessed with such an insanely joyous time!

Kathryn, your lil' Alex was just too much! HA! We need to keep him up 'till 3am at least once a month for our enjoyment sake.

And Heather, if you read this, know that it took everything in me to keep from busting out in laughter in the middle of this here computer lab. Thanks!

November 21, 2006 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Bacak said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds so fun! I love HOPE groups, and inter-generational fun. We old people are fun too! That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
S'mores do rock.
They are an art form.
jenn

November 22, 2006 at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home