Thursday, March 08, 2007

Spring Break



Spring Break.

It means different things to different people.

For some it is skiing.

For some it is the beach.

For some it is for mission trips to far off places.

and for some it is a time just to rest and relax with family.

But spring break means much more to those of us who stay in Bryan/College Station.

It means driving down Texas Avenue and not being bumper to bumper.

It means getting to the gym at the last minute and still getting a pass for Body Pump. Actually after spring break, all of those people who made New Years resolutions to start working out will have lost interest and we will have the gym back.

Bonus.

It means going to a restraunt any time of day and getting seated immediately...

So for those of you who are leaving, you will be sorely missed and I look forward to hearing all about your trips, but for just a short bit I will enjoy our once small town.

Really, I remember when I was in high school, I won't say when that was, but lets just say George Bush Sr. was president, back when Rock Prairie Road was out in the middle of nowhere and when the college students would leave, you could actually see tumbleweeds going down the road.

One week, that will be plenty of time for me.

Plenty of time to tell everyone I got down Texas Avenue in three minutes and it sure is quiet around here. Anything longer than that and I will be totally lost and sad.

Bittersweet.

For those of you who are staying here, you can come help me serve food and play with kids at the Bryan Outreach.

Much fun will be had by all.

6 Comments:

Blogger SaraEaker said...

I've always wanted to experience that side of college station...but i have never really gotten to! I hope someday I will be here and get to drive down Texas in 3 minutes...i cant imagine a life where the "cutting through the neighborhoods" is not the fastest choice and not having to avoid Texas at all costs! Enjoy your spring break! I will miss you!

March 9, 2007 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Bacak said...

I don't know if we'll ever drive down Texas in 3 min.! Rusty and I are convinced the construction will never end. But when it does, we should all have t-shirts that say "We survived 15 years of construction on Texas" because all of these new college students will come in and believe that Texas has always been wide open, breezy, large laned, and they won't appreciate our suffering.
Who will make the t-shirts?
jenn
Did I get a little side-tracked on this one? Sorry!

March 9, 2007 at 10:07 AM  
Blogger Lisa Smith said...

Maybe we'll get to play with our friends! Park, anyone?

March 9, 2007 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday after two oclock I am wide open...

March 9, 2007 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

i'll miss you kathryn!! don't forget me, K!

March 9, 2007 at 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!
I love College Station without the massive mobs of "college" folk.
And I'm one of 'em!

March 18, 2007 at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home