Friday, November 02, 2007

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

We grew up hearing that all the time.

Perhaps nice to some in theory...but impossible in reality.

This impossibility is a good thing...hard but good.

But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." Luke 6:49

'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men." Matthew 15:8-9

God wants us to be doers of the Word, not just sayers.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22

I have been meditating on this a lot lately. I know that my children are watching me. They are doing what I say...but they are also doing what I do.

I notice this when I get anxious or fearful, Michael will immediately start asking questions.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Or if I get upset about something and act out, they will respond to my behavior.

In your anger do not sin "Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:26-27


My children know that we are all sinners in need of a Savior, but as I grow, I want to be modeling that Savior every day.


For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God Romans 2:23


I am asking God to show me His heart and my heart and where they are lining up and where they are not.


Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24

In a Bible study I am doing with my sweet Nellie there was an excerpt from the book It's Always Something written by the late Gilda Radner (and yes I had to explain to Nellie who Gilda Radner was, man I felt old!!!) It read like this:

When I was little, my nurse Dibby's cousin had a dog, just a mutt, and the dog was pregnant. I don't know how long dogs are pregnant, but she was due to have her puppies in about a week. She was out in the yard one day and got in the way of the lawn mower and her two hind legs got cut off. They rushed her to the vet and he said, "I can sew her up, or you can put her to sleep if you want, but the puppies are okay. She'll be able to deliver the puppies."
Dibby's cousin said, "keep her alive."
So the vet sewed up her backside, and over the next week the dog learned to walk by taking two steps in the front and flipping up her backside, and then taking two steps and flipping up her backside again. She gave birth to six little puppies, all in perfect health. She nursed them and then weaned them. And when they learned to walk, they all walked like her.


This sums up so perfectly that our children are watching us and doing as we do.

A lost and dying world should be watching us as Christians and doing what we do.

Are we living a life worth watching?

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

We are only living a life worth watching by the grace of God. I am learning every day, every hour, every second.

And, it's true, having my children around is like having four little mirrors, four little clones of me. When I see a certain behavior or attitude in them I don't like, I am learning to look for it in me before I reprimand them. Then, their punishment can include someting like, "Let's work on this together."

Nothing like a six-year-old accountability partner. They're brutally honest. They don't try to be tactful or make you feel good about yourself. Just honest!

November 3, 2007 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger His Girl said...

This is such a sweet blog... how often I ask myself if I am giving my children good advice. Not just "Am I saying the right things to my children?", but "Am I behaving in a way that shows the right way to follow after God?" I am constantly aware that I am being watched for advice far more than I am being listened to.

This is the first time I've read your blog... I can't wait to read more!

November 14, 2007 at 11:55 PM  
Blogger WSexton2000 said...

Now here is a lesson that needs to be taught to ALL parents....especially me. I'm working on following Christ in my words and deeds, but I find myself constantly having to stop and rethink things just by looking into those 2 beautiful faces of my sons. I think, "is this REALLY what I want to teach them or show them?" And usually it needs to be modified, not only in my actions, but also in my thought processes. Today I heard my youngest say to Kathryn that "I like going with daddy because he let's us do things you don't." That made me really stop and think. I believe we need to be on the same page where the boys are concerned and obviously we aren't there yet. There's some things, I know, where "boys will be boys", but I need to really step up and make sure that I'm not undermining the awesome job that Kathryn has done with the boys. All who read this, please pray for me to show Christ to my children through word and deed and not to counteract the teachings they have already recieved through Kathryn and the church.

Will

November 29, 2007 at 10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home