Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Created for Work

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. Colossians 3:23-24

One thing that was instilled in me as a child and I have carried into adulthood is a good work ethic.

We were raised to work hard and to appreciate everything that we had.

I want to teach my children the same thing.

Only I want to teach them why God wants us to work hard. God created the entire earth and maintains it. He created us in His image and those who accept this role will prosper in His kingdom.

For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. Colossians 1:16

This has been on my heart for some time and it is increasing in intensity as I see the microwave generation that the world is raising who wants everything right now but does not want to work for it.

A couple of months ago it really hit home.

One of Michael's jobs is to take the trash to the curb on trash day. When he first started doing it, he was excited and it was fun...after a while it just became work.

One particular morning it was very cold and the trash can was very heavy...but the work still had to be done.

Michael groaned and complained and whined that it was too heavy and he could not do it. My heart sunk. I told him that if he used all the effort he was using to complain that he could already be done with his job.

Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life—in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing Philippians 2:14-16

I knew that something had to be done and it had to be more than just my words telling him what to do.

God is so faithful.

About the exact same time, Cindy saw this book on one of her devotionals. It is a Biblically based book, geared to boys 8-12 (but can be for anyone).

It teaches why we were created, what God expects from us and how to make work fulfilling and enjoyable.

So Michael and I are doing a chapter a night. It is a double blessing because not only is he reaping the benefits of God's Word, but we are getting that "Mommy-Michael" time that we both crave.

Michael loves when we do things together.

Alex is not quite there, whenever it is just "Mommy-Alex", he spends the whole time saying "where is Michael?"

I think it is the whole birth order thing...

That's ok, Alex will have his day.

So, I highly recommend this book, especially if you have boys, which Living Hope is in no short supply of boys!!

Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. Matthew 7:24-25

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

Hi Ho Hi Ho, to buy this book I go!

April 19, 2007 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

i think it is so cool how mommy-michael time is spent learning about God. God does some amazing things through you, Kathryn!

LOVE you in every sense of the word and to the maximum I have within me!

April 22, 2007 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger sdfs said...

Hmmm, so true and something I need to work on! Especially when its work one feels their room mate never...but I am serving the Lord, I am serving the Lord... :)

I went to Goody's today!! Thanks so much for the tip!! All their clearance was an extra 40% off, so shirts were like 4.98!! That's my kind of shopping :o)

April 27, 2007 at 5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home