Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Psalm 119


I have been reading Psalm 119, yes all of it...and you are right Heather, I didn't die.

I have read it many times before.

I have even done the excercise where you underline laws and precepts and statutes describing God's Word.

David loved God's Word, it was sweeter to him than honey (vs 103) and more valuable than gold, and not just gold, but PURE gold (vs 127).

But this time when I am reading it, I am focusing on the heart.
Think about all the aspects of your heart.
When you are excited...your heart is happy.
When you are scared...your heart races.
When you are sad...your heart hurts.
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Proverbs 4:23

We know that David was a man after God's own heart.

When he sinned, which he did big time, just like us, he repented (as we should) and ran back to God, because He loved God and hated every wrong path (vs 104 and 128).

I believe this is because of his heart. When you love God and seek Him with all of your heart, you will hate sin.

In verse after verse in this chapter it is about the heart.

Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart. vs 2
I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws. vs 30
I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. vs 32
I have sought your face with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise. vs 58
My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end. vs 112
I call with all my heart; answer me, O LORD, and I will obey your decrees. vs 145
Rulers persecute me without cause, but my heart trembles at your word. vs 161

David doesn't seek God with his mind or his voice or even his eyes. Those can all be deceived. God knows our hearts, we can not hide that from Him.

David was desperate for God with his whole heart. He wasn't concerned about what he looked like on the outside or saying the right thing to impress man.

When he did seek God with his lips, it was only to recount all the laws that come from your (God's) mouth. (vs 13)

He was completely and totally focused on God, His Word and obedience.

"These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men. Isaiah 29:13

That is not what I want. I do not want my walk with the Lord to be out of routine and just simply what I do.

I want every day to be seeking God with all of my heart and chasing after Him with a passion and love that can not be described.

I am praying that God will continue to teach me how to do that.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mindi said...

Hi Kathryn!

I'm sorry I haven't posted on your blog in a while . . . but I have been reading it and I LOVE it!!!

I love this. I need to read that chapter of Psalms again!

I also love your Acts 2:42 blog.

See you soon I hope!

January 30, 2008 at 12:30 AM  
Blogger Hendrick Family said...

I know!

I praise God for emotions...that He gives me the ability to love, to feel such joy, etc. But my emotions can be so out of whack. I love how David was a man who felt, who wasn't a spiritual robot or zombie. He was honest with the Lord. He was controlled by God, but was still a person who felt deeply.

I too am asking God to show me more and more what it looks like to have a heart like David's.

Heather

January 30, 2008 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Lisa Smith said...

Where's my witty, insightful and inspirational comment/note I left you? I know you love me too much to delete it so...I'm guessing blogger ate it.

I love you and your precious heart.

January 30, 2008 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Bacak said...

I love Ps. 119 too! Verse 54 says "Your principles have been the music of my life." NLT
That's my favorite.
jenn

January 30, 2008 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I love this!

Thank you Kathryn!

Meg

February 1, 2008 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Dani said...

I love this, Kathryn. Thanks!

Dani

February 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger texasmcvays said...

Your post reminds me of Hannah...how she prayed for Samuel she was "praying in her heart." and one of my favorites Asa:"Asa's heart was fully committed to the LORD all his life." I had not looked at these two folk's from this point of view. That they like David are after God's own heart. What can God do with someone committed to Him? Anything, its simply amazing.
K

February 2, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home