Monday, January 21, 2008

Acts 2:42


They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Acts 2:42-47

I love this passage because it is truly one of my favorite things to do in life.

The fellowship of the believers.

The Church.

Meeting together on a daily basis in one form or another and worshipping, fellowshipping, eating or praying.

I am so loving this sermon series on Ekklessia...the Church.

Of not just "doing church" or "going to church" but being the church.

I can tell you that after Jesus captured my heart, delving my whole heart, mind and soul into my church has drastically changed my life.

God wants all of us...not just part of us.

You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely? James 4:4-5

Envies intensely...the Holy Spirit will fight for us.

I love seeing how God wants it done...it doesn't mean that it is always easy.

That is why there is a fight.

It is not easy dying to oneself and carrying ones own cross (Luke 14:27)

But Jesus says it is necessary...a reasonable act as we learned in Romans 12...I love that.

Jesus also says that we are "one body, many parts" 1 Corinthians 12

We need each other.

I am reading Joshua Harris book Stop Dating the Church...love it.

He talks about the people who believe they can be Christians and never go to church.
I have heard this argument many times. They don't believe you have to fellowship or be connected with other believers.

That is disobedience.

He compares them to "good for nothing" bricks.

I love this...he says what is a brick made for? To help build a house. It is of no use for that brick to tell you that it is just as good a brick while it is kicking about on the ground as it would be in the house. It is a good-for-nothing brick.

So you rolling-stone Christians, I do not believe that you are answering your purpose. You are living contrary to the life which Christ would have you live, and you are much to blame for the injury you do.

I don't ever want to be a good-for-nothing brick.

Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. Ephesians 2:19-21

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Smith said...

I'm so thankful for the bricks that surround me, hold me up and love me enough to attach to me as we build the church.

My favorite part of this verse is that many were daily added to their number. If we are the church like Jesus teaches, many come to know him daily...cool.

January 21, 2008 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger Jimmy B said...

And as great as we have it, there is so much more God wants for us! That is so exciting.

January 22, 2008 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Bacak said...

I know, I love this series too!
jenn

January 23, 2008 at 7:51 PM  
Blogger SaraEaker said...

great post! Thanks for sharing your heart on this. Your life shows me just how much you love God's church. You are great!

January 25, 2008 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger mas alla de los sueños said...

hi, i'm from Chile
i'm about to finish the book "Boy meets Girl" and found this site

referently to the church i really believe that all of us building that church, but i don't have a particular religion by own choice because i realize that is an impediment to me to follow the love of God and that's because i was catholic in the past and learn many beautiful things of my Lord, but when i grown up i realize that i can't continue be catholic because thay have traditions referent to the religion that i found apart me from the real matter that is God, then through my life i met very good friends of different religions, and assist a few times to evangelic churches and i realize that i can learn beatiful and truly models of God's love in every of them, the i decided not to join to a particular religion. This way means that i'm not assit to any church. I know that is a hard path to follow the Lord but i think is the best to me. But i didn't deny that i miss my friends that loves Christ, i meet with them a few, sometimes about months, and i loved see them more times.
God bless all of you

May 5, 2008 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger fritz said...

hi i'm from the philliphines
i've finished reading the book i kissed dating goodbye by josh. it really gives me strength and change my perspective on how to honor god with my relationship with opposite sex. thanks to this book and more power.

July 6, 2008 at 5:32 AM  
Blogger fritz said...

hi I'm from philliphines .
i've finished reading the book which called i kissed dating goodbye. here i learn a lot of lessons and found some reliable answers to my question on how to honor god with my relationship to the opposite sex. now i'm striving more to get closer to him as i consider christ as my personal savior. i kwow that although im far in the church physically but in the hearts of god's people.

July 6, 2008 at 5:33 AM  
Blogger GUNNY said...

Great concept, "good for nothing bricks," though there are far too many of them out there.

Indeed, Harris' Stop Dating the Church is highly recommended.

July 18, 2008 at 1:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home